Dancer/choreographer Lilian Steiner and artist, filmmaker and performer Emile Zile have joined forces to create something utterly of its moment and unlike anything you’ve seen before.
Becoming The Icon fuses movement and film to explore the ways in which politics manifests at the physical level. Two bodies exist in a realm whose boundaries are defined by light, their relationship and the eye of the camera. This is the metaphysical arena in which their shifting power dynamics will play out, at some times flaring up into outright confrontation, at others attempting to manipulate and persuade in more insidious ways.
The work is the first collaboration between two of Melbourne’s most exciting artists. Steiner and Zile arrive from very different artistic backgrounds, but rather than find a common point between their practices have sought to locate a third space that pushes them both in a new direction while drawing on the strengths they have developed elsewhere.
The result is a dance/film hybrid that pushes buttons and pulls no punches. Mesmeric and playful, it skips past the mind’s surface levels to prod at deeper parts of our consciousness we might not be aware existed. Become the icon.
- Presented by Arts House and Campbelltown Arts Centre as part of BLEED 2020.
- Concept, Choreography, Performance: Lilian Steiner and Emile Zile
- Sound Design: Nick Roux
- Cinematography: James Wright
- Additional Camera: Lilian Steiner & Emile Zile
- Editing: Emile Zile with Lilian Steiner
- Producer: Freya Waterson
- Produced at Arts House & Boyd Studios, City of Melbourne
- Becoming The Icon is supported by the City of Melbourne through Arts House and was developed through CultureLAB with the assistance of Creative Victoria.
- BLEED is conceived, produced and presented by City of Melbourne through Arts House and Campbelltown City Council through Campbelltown Arts Centre. BLEED has been assisted by the Federal Government through Australia Council for the Arts, its funding and advisory body.
Schedule07:00 PM AEST
Wednesday 19 August
Duration: 40 mins
This is a free activity.
Register for reminder.