From the Bronze Age direct to your device, RE:SOUNDING: play puts a 2000-year-old instrument in the palm of your hand.
Play, listen to and uncover the fascinating history of the Đông Sơn drum, an instrument central to the cultural identity of Vietnam. Drawing on an extensive library of sounds digitised by re:sounding’s James Nguyen and Victoria Pham, the re:sounding website lets you explore the drum and sound its digital surface to participate in a continuously evolving soundscape recalling a chorus from long ago. Accessible on desktop, laptop, iPad tablet and mobile, the call of an ancient instrument is yours to master.
The Đông Sơn drum occupies a pivotal place in the cultural history of Vietnam. Fashioned between 1,000 and 3,000 years ago, these bronze instruments spread throughout Southeast Asia and, eventually, the entire globe. As trade objects, spoils of war and gifts of friendship, they echoed the movements of the culture from which they emerged, and act as a sonic surrogate for the Vietnamese diaspora itself.
By accessing and manipulating sound files through re:sounding:play, you can become part of that history, contributing to an interactive page that brings together the many strands of the Đông Sơn drum’s history. Make some noise.
- RE:SOUNDING is commissioned and presented by Arts House and Campbelltown Arts Centre as part of BLEED 2020.
- Stems recorded by percussionists: Salina Myat and Adam Cooper-Standbury
- re:sounding: play precepts and software design: Victoria Pham
- Design, Visuals and Accessibility: Imogen Yang and James Nguyen
- BLEED is conceived, produced and presented by City of Melbourne through Arts House and Campbelltown City Council through Campbelltown Arts Centre. BLEED has been assisted by the Federal Government through Australia Council for the Arts, its funding and advisory body.
- The RE:SOUNDING project has been supported by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body and by the NSW Government through Create NSW.
SchedulePlay from 20 July
Listen / Participate
This is a free activity.
Performance with Ran Cap DuoiMusic Performance
Experimental Vietnamese band Rắn Cặp Đuôi reimagine the 2,000-year-old instrument at the heart of James Nguyen and Victoria Pham’s multi-faceted project re:sounding.